This $1,000 scholarship is intended for a high school senior who plans on a career as a world language educator. The scholarship is sponsored by Ken Stewart, Spanish teacher, former SCOLT Board member and 2006 ACTFL National Language Teacher of the Year. Typically one scholarship is awarded each year. In 2021, two recipients were chosen as they were both outstanding applicants. Applicants must be a current high school senior in a SCOLT state or territory.
What are the requirements?
- Current high school transcript
- List of school and community activities
- Three letters of recommendation, each not to exceed one page (1 from a language teacher, 1 from a peer, and 1 from a teacher or administrator at your high school)
- One page statement of your future plans to become a language teacher (750 words maximum)
- College or university you plan to attend (copy of acceptance, if available). State briefly how your plans fit within the offerings, programs and opportunities of this college or university.
- Hyperlink to video (maximum 3 minutes) of the candidate’s response in their language of study/L2 to this question: What makes an A+ teacher? The video should focus entirely on the candidate while speaking.
Click below to complete the application form. Applications are due January 15.