An American society capable of functioning in a global community requires all citizens to be proficient in English, at least one other language, and the cultures those languages express. Realization of this vision dictates that World Language education be expected of all learners and that it be an integral part of the core curriculum at all levels. This vision of universal and effective World Language education provides unity of purpose for SCOLT as it endeavors to provide support and leadership to its members who, in turn, strive to enhance student learning. SCOLT collaborates with other organizations at the state, regional, national, and international levels to promote universal World Language education supported by the community, valued by political and business leaders, encouraged by parents and peers, and taught by exemplary instructors.
The mission of the Southern Conference on Language Teaching is the advancement of the study of modern and classical languages and their literatures and cultures at all levels of instruction. SCOLT strives to carry out its vision and mission in the following ways:
- Disseminate and publicize research, materials, and other information that promote, develop, and improve this study;
- Provide professional growth and opportunities via annual conferences, networking, scholarships, review of language-related materials, and publications;
- Encourage the incorporation into curricula of state and national standards and performance guidelines;
- Recognize and reward excellence in World Language study, teaching and service;
- Promote preparation, recruitment, and mentoring of World Language educators;
- Advocate initiatives, policies, and programs that promote World Language study at local, state, regional and international levels;
- Cooperate with state, regional, national, and international organizations whose purpose is the enhancement of World Language study and teaching.
Working toward these goals enables SCOLT to maintain its leadership role in World Language study in an ever-changing global community.