SCOLT envisions an inclusive multilingual society that values language and culture as core components of the educational experience at all levels.
SCOLT fosters impactful World Language education for all learners by connecting and empowering language educators.
SCOLT strives to carry out its vision and mission in the following ways:
- Provide professional growth and opportunities via annual conferences, networking, scholarships, review of language-related materials, and publications;
- Disseminate and publicize research, materials, and other information that promote, develop, and improve this study;
- Encourage the incorporation into curricula of state and national standards and performance guidelines;
- Recognize and reward excellence in World Language study, teaching and service;
- Promote preparation, recruitment, and mentoring of World Language educators;
- Advocate for initiatives, policies, and programs that promote World Language study at local, state, regional and international levels;
- Collaborate with state, regional, national, and international organizations whose purpose is the enhancement of World Language study and teaching.
Working toward these goals enables SCOLT to maintain its leadership role in World Language study in an ever-changing global community.
Note: The SCOLT Vision and Mission were revised in 2023 by the Board of Directors and approved by the Sponsors and Patrons October 30, 2023.